Mom Bakes Biscotti Italiani
Mom’s Italian biscotti cookies were legendary. She made many batches over the decades and gave many packages of them away as gifts. This post contains the recipe mom used as well as photos from her biscotti baking, August 2011.
Recipe for Biscotti Italiani
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 3 cubes butter
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts
(or almonds, if preferred)
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder; sift three times.
- Melt butter in small pan. In the meantime, beat eggs in large bowl, adding sugar gradually – then add vanilla.
- Next add flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring alternately with melted butter. Add chopped nuts and mix well.
- Using a large spoon (mixture will be soft), scoop out portions of dough, enough to form into strips about one inch wide and as long as the cookie sheet. Place three strips on one ungreased cookie sheet to allow for spreading while baking.
- Bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and slice diagonally. Place cut-side up on cookie sheet. Return to oven for approximately 5 minutes longer until brown. (Two cookie sheets would be handy so that the next batch can be prepared while the first one is baking.)
- These cookies should keep well for a number of weeks. (Store in an airtight container.)
Mom Bakes Biscotti Italiani — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>